Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pumpkin...vegetable or fruit?

This morning Jimmy and the girls transformed our pumpkin into a jack-o-lantern. As they were working away, I wondered...,"Is a pumpkin a vegetable or fruit?" Jimmy was unsure, so I went to the trusty internet to search for my answer. Technically, because it has seeds, it is a fruit. So is a tomato (which I knew) and a cucumber (which I did not know). Did you all know that?? Or am I the only uneducated one?

Jimmy starting the carving process
The girls cleaning out the pulp

Rebecca being grossed out because of the pulp


Leah thought this was shredded cheese...which that is what it looks like.



Their finished Jack-O-Lantern





5 comments:

Judson's Mommy said...

I did not know that! You have educated me this morning. Cute Pics!

Mandy said...

I am like Rebecca, pumpkin guts are gross, especially when they squish between your fingers...lol.

Kelly said...

Cute pics!! They did a great job!

Michele said...

You are a great teacher girl! I had NO idea! Looks like they all had a blast!

Amy said...

Ha!!! I love your question. I attended a workshop called Food, Land and People this summer. It is all about farms and the importance of local food. One of the activities is called "fruit or veggie?" We used pictures of various fruits and veggies and hoola hoops. It was a relay race to place the fruit or veggie in the right category. Many of us guessed wrong on some, so don't feel bad.

Looks like you had a great time.