Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Grade Promotion Ceremony

Weekend before last our homeschool group had a grade promotion ceremony. It was the first time this group did a big thing at the end of the year like we did, but I'm sure it will be something we continue. There were lots of people who came since we all invited our family members and some of the people from the community that worked with us and helped us out during the year. Every family chose a different country and we cooked foods from that country. Since the girls and I studied Colonial America a bunch at the beginning of the year we chose the good ol' USA. Every family had a table set up to demonstrate some of the projects that we worked on throughout the year. First we all ate, then we watched a dvd that one of the mom's made for all of us. It was a collection of pictures that were taken during the year from all of our different fieldtrips, meetings, and so forth. That was awesome! Next some of the children performed for everyone. Some played the piano, one girl played the dulcimer, and Hannah chose to read a book. THAT was a big accomplishment! Reading is something Hannah despises. She loves for me to read to her, but hates to read herself. BUT, she did so incredibly well! I told her afterwards that I would love for her to read that great for me. I was very proud of her. Then at the end, all of the children received certificates for completing this school year. Even Leah got a certificate for being the biggest helper...lol!

This was a poster we made about the USA the week of the ceremony. Leah colored the Liberty Bell...can you tell?




This is Jimmy's mom and dad (Grandma Trudy and Grandpa Andy).

4 comments:

Michele said...

What a great thing to have! Kudos to the girls and you for the accomplishments!

Mary Lou said...

WOW! That's so cool that y'all had a ceremony for all the honeschool students. I had no idea! Congratulations girls on all your accomplishments this past year.

Mandy said...

I think that is awesome! And little Leah getting a certificate was a really nice gesture. I bet she felt as important as all the other kids. I am sure she learned alot this school year too!

Kelly said...

I think that's great that you all did a ceremony! I'm sure everyone enjoyed it!