Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chuck E. Cheese & Holly the Hamster

Boy have we been busy! We're wrapping up the end of the year and are ready for summer. Last Thursday was, of course, Hannah's birthday and the one thing she wanted from us was a hamster. She started telling us back in January that she wanted one, and we have been telling her that she needed to show us how responsible she is in order to get one. Jimmy and I were going to get her one, but just hadn't yet. I knew I had time since her party isn't until this weekend, but Jimmy called from work Thursday morning to tell me that I should take her to go pick one out. He wanted her to have it on her actual birthday, so I headed to Rocky Mount with one excited little girl! Well actually three excited girls! They were all anxious and thrilled that Hannah was going to get a hamster. Since it was lunch time when we arrived, our first stop was Chuck E. Cheese. We stayed there for about two hours then headed to the pet store. Hamster: $9.99....everything that goes with the darn thing:$100.00! Did you know that they put them in a box like you get chicken in when you go to KFC? Hannah was holding the box on the way home, and all of a sudden the girls started screaming. The hamster was making a hole in the side of the box and trying to get out! They were screaming and it was freaking me out so I had to pull over quickly. I would not have been able to handle that thing getting loose in my car. So I pulled over in an abandoned parking lot on the side of the road, and there just so happened to be a cop checking traffic there. My plan was to put the cage together so we could put Holly the Hamster in there for the rest of the ride home, but then I remembered that we bought a ball for her to roll around in so we got that out instead. I opened Hannah's door and peaked in the KFC box but was way too scared to pick the hamster up and move her. Hannah was too scared also, so what were we to do?? Of course! I walked right over to the policeman and told him how desperate I was. He looked at me like I was crazy, but he politely obliged. Out of his car was this 6'4" man in uniform coming to move a hamster from a chicken box to a plastic ball! It was funny! He was very polite and helpful, and he saved my life because I know that if that thing got loose I would have wrecked..lol! So now we have a new addition to our family.

10 comments:

Mary Lou said...

That is SOOO funny! You actually asked a cop to come get your hamster out of a box and put him in a ball! LOL Wonder how he logged that in his report of today's duties? LOL Oh well, better safe than sorry. I have a similar story about a turtle.

Michele said...

Too dagon funny! I am scared of those things too...they are too much like mice to me and if one got loose in the car I would definately wrecked! I would have loved to have seen the look on the policaman's face! I know Hannah is thrilled!

Kelly said...

Only you!!!! hahahahaha That is sooo funny!!!!! I can't blame you or the girls! I would have been freaking out too! Were you thinking, "Oh I can't wait to blog this story"! LOL

Mandy said...

OMG...that is just too dang funny! I would have been the same way though. Mama's are so resourceful! We don't mind asking for help when we need it. It would have been even more funny if that 6'4 policeman were scared of the hamster too! Maybe not to you at the time, but it would have been funny to read.

I hope the girls enjoy the hamster and get over the fear...lol

Cathy said...

Girl! I know how you feel. A friend of mine, and our four kids went to Roanoke Rapids to the pet store to get Brooke a hamster and as you said they put it in a box but this one was like Chinese take out...and on the way home that thing chewed a hole and got out in the truck and kids were screaming and I was also. Pam went to pull in at McDonals's and I jump out why she was still driving that thing got in front with me and I like to have just died right their...to this day I still don't like them things LOL! I just hope that it don't get out in your house like that one did LOL!!

Anonymous said...

LOL...I enjoyed this story as well. When you put the cost up there it reminded me of a turtle (Speedy) we gave Joseph for his birthday one year. Turtle 12.99 everything else 115.00....They get you with the stuff to take care of them don't they?

Donielle said...

Oh my gosh, Cathy you are too funny! I am so grateful that it didn't get out while I was driving. Rhonda, you are right. The animal itself is really inexpensive, but everything else is what costs so much.

The cop gave me the craziest look when I asked for his help. I said, "Hello. I have a very odd request. Blah blah blah..." And he looked at me like he was saying, "OOOOkaayyy?!"

Judson's Mommy said...

That is funny! I would have died if that Hamster had of got out. lol

Toni said...

Tell Hannah her and Daymon need to get Holly and Hammy together for a play date

Keri said...

Hilarious!! I can only imagine how you guys are going to take care of that hamster once you get it home and no policemen are around!!