Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The neighbor's cat

Our neighbor has several cats roaming around. My kids can tell them all apart, but me, not so much. But I did notice a few weeks ago that one looked pretty pregnant. We've been keeping a close eye on her. Two of the other cats had kittens about two weeks ago in our neighbors house, and I didn't even know they were pregnant. Anyway, the one pregnant cat that I noticed has been acting like she is in labor since yesterday afternoon. She rarely ever lets us get close to her, and yesterday she started meowing really funny, and very frequently and wants us to rub her. She wants to stay very close to Sammy (our dog) and you can tell she wants Sammy to love on her. Well, I thought for sure she would have her kittens last night, but nothing. So then when I went to bed I thought I would wake up to kittens. No again. She keeps hanging around here, laying with Sammy and meowing like crazy. But still nothing. I've taken a laundry basket and lined it with old towels for her to birth in, and she will occasionally get in there. But I'm worried she is having trouble. I really don't know anything about cats, so I can't tell for sure she is even in labor. But it sure seems like it. Anyone have any advice??

6 comments:

Mandy said...

My Daddy has helped birth kittens before...call him 209-7035. He might can give you some advice or stop by after he gets off work. I am sure he would help!

Judson's Mommy said...

I have not a clue! Maybe call the vet.... Keep up posted.

Anonymous said...

Brownie acted like that for a few days before she finally had the puppies....I thought are we ever gonna have puppies?? Now, I wonder are they ever gonna eat on their own..Hope you wake up to kittens soon!

Mary Lou said...

I'm with Shannon--I don't have a clue either! I don't really like cats, but I hope everything goes well and you have some new kittens soon! I know your girls are so excited!

Wendy said...

Sounds like she just wants a little attention from Sammy?
Nature will take it's course soon enough. good Luck!

Kelly said...

I'm no help either. Hope everything goes well!