Friday, May 15, 2009

Series Finale

After seeing nature take its course with Mama and her babies, I came in. I couldn't sit there and watch that. But, I teetered with the idea of bringing baby in so I could feed her myself. At last I decided to leave her since she was in the basket with Mama. I figured now maybe Mama would be relaxed enough to nurse her and take care of her, so I left her. As I was getting ready for bed I could hear baby meowing over and over. My heart was breaking so I decided I would get her and feed her. I warmed up the formula mixture I concocted from a friend whose done this before, but by the time I did all of that and got outside, Mama was on her way with baby to go under the shed. Relieved. That's how I felt. I just knew then that Mama wanted her baby and would go under there to feed her and protect her. When I woke this morning she was under our carport again, alone. I went out there to pet her. She looked so much better, relaxed, flat belly. My spirits were high and I couldn't wait to see baby. Rebecca and I went to the shed to see if baby was under there and ok. Jimmy didn't nail the floor back down from yesterday, so we were able to go in there and lift the floor again. As soon as I lifted it I saw baby. She wasn't moving at all. As I was holding the floor up, Rebecca went down there to feel the baby. "Yep, she's dead," was all she said. My heart now aches that I didn't take her when I had the chance. I know that's nature, but I'm still sad. I could have saved her.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Donielle! You didn't know! You thought the Mama was going to take care of her baby. We had a cat that wouldn't take care of her kittens and we had to put them all in a kennel so she wouldn't get out. All of her babies were living and she could care less. I'm sorry! I know it bothered you!

Wendy said...

I am sure you did the right thing, when the momma wants nothing to do with a certain babay it's for a reason and usually we try and help. So you did good, but I am so sorry.

Judson's Mommy said...

I am sorry for you! You done what anyone else would have done. You were thinking that Mama would take care of baby. I know it still bothers you.

Michele said...

Awww...too sad BUT you can not blame yourself girl! I too would have left the kitten with the mother.

Mary Lou said...

Sorry to hear the kitten didn't make it. Don't blame yourself! I would have done the same thing had I seen Momma cat taking her baby to the barn like you did. Maybe Momma knew that something was wrong with the kitten that you couldn't see. Cough this one up as one of life's lessons learned!

Mandy said...

Donielle, I haven't comment about all your cat posts, but you have done all you can do. Animal instinct is powerful. I am almost certain Mama knew something you didn't, that Baby wasn't going to make it anyway. It may have been her instinct to take it away from your house so ya'll wouldn't find her dead. Who knows. You are such a good person to be so concerned.!

Dad said...

Here's a thought; maybe Mama's milk never came in.

Judi said...

It might not have even mattered Doniello. Something was probably wrong with the kitten to begin with.