Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Scary morning

We have an eight year old chocolate female lab named Sammy. A couple of years ago she suffered a heart attack and has aged a lot since then. She is an outsided dog, the best guard dog ever, and loves to play fetch with golf balls. Jimmy likes to go outside and hit golf balls while she retrieves them. Well, ever since her heart attack, we have to be careful about how many balls she retrieves. This morning Leah, my niece Abigail and I were taking a walk. All the while we were throwing the golf ball for Sammy. Mind you, we didn't walk very far, just around our small block. But as soon as we got home she started having seizures. This is so scary to watch. I felt so helpless. She couldn't walk, could barely stand, she kept falling sideways until she went into a full seizure. I was really scared. Sammy is soooo good with kids, but when any dog is sick you never know how they will act. So I rushed the girls in the house just in case. Leah was scared and crying, as was I. I went back out to Sammy to comfort her. I thought she was getting better, but I was wrong. She started again. This time before the seizure she was walking crazy all over the place. I called Jimmy crying, not knowing really what to do. He told me that she was as scared as I was, for me to stay calm and try to get her to drink some water. He said that she needed to calm down, drink and rest and she will be fine. I guess he knew what he was talking about because she is finally resting on our porch and acting pretty normal. I know she is not 100% yet because a car went by a little while ago and she didn't even bark. Hopefully she will continue to rest until she is better. It's really pittiful to see her like this. Jimmy is going to take her to the vet later. Maybe that will help.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Awe, Donielle. I know how attached you can get to pets, even if they are outside pets. It was awful when we found out our Sammy had heartworms. We didn't know if the treatments were going to kill him or not, but we had to try. I pray things will get better with your Sammy!

Shelley and Such said...

WE need an update this morning?! Whats the deal? Did you take him to the vet? TELL US!