Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Relay Luminaries

Hello all! First, thank you to EVERYONE who bought a Fight Like a Girl Relay shirt! I sold many of them and our team was so excited with the money we raised thus far. Now we are selling luminaries. For those of you unfamiliar with luminaries I will tell you quickly what they are about. In April we will be having our all night Relay. This is my first year participating, but it sounds like it's a blast, tiring, but fun. All of the 50 plus Relay teams will be together on this final night of Relay for Life. They have things planned for every hour throughout the entire night. Lots and lots of fun silly things. But at 9:00 pm Friday night they will be having the luminaries ceremony. This is a beautiful and touching ceremony where candles are placed in luminary bags and are lit to honor those fighting cancer, or to remember those who have lost their battle with cancer. These candles burn all night to remind us of the purpose of Relay for Life. The luminary bags are decorated with a pink ribbon and the name of the person the luminary was purchased for will be written on the bag. However, if you would like to decorate your own bag you can do so. The luminaries are 1 for $10 or 3 for $25.

They have an addition to the luminary and it's called the Flame of Hope. With this, a special torch will be lit in honor or in memory of someone you love that has been affected by cancer. A display sign will be placed in front of the torch recognizing that special person. Also, a picture of your loved one will be put on the big screen along with their name during the luminary presentation. This Flame of Hope is $50. If anyone is interested in either one of these, please send me an email or call me at 578-0514. My email is usfive@mchsi.com Please feel free to call or email me with whatever questions you have. The deadline for these are April 1st. Thanks guys!! Oh, the big luminary presentation is on April 24, 2009 at 9:00 pm.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I will definitely be buying a luminary in memory of Mama, so I will be getting in touch with you about it.

Judi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judi said...

How much are the T-shirts and where do I get them from? Is there another web-site?

Shari said...

Is it too late to buy a T-Shirt?

Donielle said...

Judi and Shari-we don't have a website to order them, what I've been doing is taking orders, collecting the money, and then I go get them and deliver them. At our meeting Monday night, they were all out of every size except small. The lady will be ordering more, but we won't be able to pick them up until our next meeting which will be March 23rd. So, if anyone would like a shirt I'm going to write down everyone's order, email it to the lady doing the ordering and will pick them up in March. She did say that she can't guarantee they will have enough for everyone, but I can try. These things have sold so well that they go fast. If you are still interested in trying to get a shirt, you can mail me the money and at after I get them I can deliver (Shari) or mail it to you (Judi). If you're interested email me at usfive@mchsi.com and I can give you my mailing address. Thanks!