Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Leah and the Trash Truck

I've been meaning to write about this, but keep forgetting. It's quite funny. Let me start with my Rebecca. Rebecca has always had certain fears, one being the trash truck. Well, not even the truck, but the men. For at least a full year, possibly longer, she would ask me EVERYDAY if it was trash day. And if it was, she would not go outside at all until they came and went. She would even ask me at night before she went to sleep if the next day was trash day. I guess she wanted to know what she would be up against the next day. She finally told me one day that her fear stemmed from a nightmare she had one night about the trash men taking her. That would scare me too, but for a whole year?? Anyway, she has since outgrown that fear (thank you God). Leah, on the other hand, LOVES trash day! Every Friday when she hears the trash truck coming she runs to me to remind me to take the trash to the road. Then she runs and gets her shoes and coat on and waits for them in our driveway. I have seen the days where she just sits in the middle of the driveway waiting. When they get closer she jumps up and down and hollers. She gets sooo soo excited! She has developed a small friendship with our trashman. I think he gets as much excitement out of seeing her as she does from him. For the past month and a half, after he empties our trash, he wheels our can all the way back under our carport! You're doing good if your trashcan is still standing and out of the road usually when they are done emptying it, but he takes the time to bring it back up for us. And then he speaks to her for a minute or two. She loves it! I just think this is the cutest thing, and I'm thinking about getting the man and his driver some gift cards to like McDonald's for Christmas. Just a little something to let them know that we appreciate what they do, and for taking the time to make Leah's day.

7 comments:

Tina said...

That is awesome!! Yes, if the trash man can make time to put a smile on our kids' face, why don't we MAKE time for the small stuff.. heart warming!!

Kelly said...

That is too sweet! Can I borrow Leah? Sometimes I have to pull mine out of the ditch...LOL...and that's a lot of fun!!! I think the gift cards sound like a great idea.

Mandy said...

Awe...how sweet?!?! I bet it does brighten the trashmen's day just as much as Leah's. A little present for their hard work and time to make something of Leah on trash day is a great thing to do. So thoughtful!

Judson's Mommy said...

sweet story..

Anonymous said...

AAWWW....such a sweet girl. It is the little things that people do that makes the life so much happier.

Jamie's Block said...

trash men have the worst job but someone has to do it. it's sweet that she does that and hey...at least you don't have to go fishing for the can out of the road or the ditch.

Michele said...

That is a wonderful idea...it would really mean a lot to him getting something from Leah:-)