Monday, May 12, 2008

My weekend and a couple of cakes

Last week was rather busy for me. As a board member of the PTA, I took on the job of teacher appreciation week and I had three cakes all needing to be done on Friday. Not to mention Mother's Day quickly coming, and no gifts bought as of Saturday afternoon! Yes, I am still a bit of a procrastinator at times (but nothing like I use to be). But I was able to get it all done and on time. Aside from the scarey weather and Jimmy having to work, Mother's Day was pretty good. My parents went to church with us yesterday and then we all went out to eat. We went to the early service so when we went to eat there was nobody in there. My grandparents met us at the restaurant and it was the first time in a long time that we were all together to eat. It was nice and the kids had a great time. We went to Logan's and my kids were so excited to be able to put the peanut shells on the floor. Then when they were done they went over to the big window by the kitchen and watched them cook. They were having a good time with the kids making huge flames come up and a couple of times throwing french fries at the window towards them. They got a big kick out of that. After lunch we visited with Jimmy's grandma and mom for a while and then returned home and awaited the storm. I'm not really scared of storms, but when you hear over the radio that the weather service has indicated a rotation outside of Rich Square heading to Woodland, one gets a wee bit nervous. Since Jimmy was at work, we went over to Vickie's so the girls could play until the storm passed. At one point we had all five girls in the laundry room for about 15 minutes until it passed. That was really when I started getting nervous. But lucky for us, we just had heavy rain and strong wind. Right before we went over to Vickie's I had to explain the difference between a hurricaine and a tornado to Rebecca. She kept thinking a hurricaine was coming! During our conversation she asked what we would do if a tornado came. I told her where we would get and told her that we would use pillows and blankets to cover ourselves. So you could imagine her fear when she saw Vickie emerge from her bedroom with her arms full of pillows heading for the laundry room. She was terrified! Everyone else thought it was pretty cool, maybe a little concerned, but still cool. So that was my Mother's Day...praising the Lord for being able to be a mother, eating out with some of my favorite mothers, visiting other important mothers, and riding out storms.
Oh, cakes....one obviously is a John Deere cake that I was pretty pleased with and the other is a cake someone requested for her daughter that was going to be in a dance recital. She said she wanted a very girly ballerina cake, lots of pink and some purple and this is what I came up with. I was not as pleased with this cake. I did something different when icing this cake that I will never do again because it made the cake lopsided! I was disappointed, but she was really pleased. Oh well, I learn with every one. Practice, practice, practice!!




1 comment:

Michele said...

Awesome John Deere Cake! My sister just called me and LOVED it. My brother-n-law's birthday was last week and he is a John Deere freak. We will have to remember that for next year!