Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The True Meaning

Up until today, I didn't know what St. Patrick's Day was really about. Like others, I thought St. Patrick's Day was an Irish holiday celebrated by wearing green, possibly a shamrock, and maybe drinking beer. But today I learned the true meaning, and I thought I would share. St. Patrick's real name is Magonus Sucatus Patricius and he was born in England in 389. When he was 16 years old, Irish raiders attacked his country and he along with hundreds of others were kidnapped, taken to Ireland, and sold as slaves. While held captive he became a strong Christian and at the age of 22 he escaped and went back to his home. Shortly after reuniting with his family he had a vision from God and felt that he was called to return to Ireland to teach them about Christ. His first convert happened to be his former slave master! St. Patrick spent the rest of his life evangelizing Ireland. He founded hundreds of churches, monasteries, and schools and baptized many many people. He is known as one of the greatest missionaries of all time.

The reason the shamrock might have come about is because St. Patrick use to use a shamrock to teach the Trinity (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) to the people. This was a good way to teach them since a clover has three leaves on one and the trinity is three people who are actually one. So know you know! Yes, when I thought about St. Patrick's Day I thought about wearing green so I didn't get pinched, or I thought about shamrocks and leperchauns. But now I know what it is all about. And so do you! So, HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!

8 comments:

Mandy said...

And all those Non-believers are out celebrating a Christian holiday...how ironic is that? Thanks for sharing!

Mary Lou said...

Thanks Donielle! I had no idea. So I wonder how beer got in the celebration?? Thanks so much for sharing!

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing! I didn't know that either!

Judson's Mommy said...

Thanks for sharing! Your girls are lucky to have you for their teacher.

Jamie's Block said...

lol don't tell that to congress or else they will take that holiday away from us like they did "in GOD we trust" off the one $ bill and coin.

and the drinking came in bc the irish are big beer drinkers. they drink GREEN beer on this day.

BJ said...

yeh..i already knew...NOT!! thanks for telling me now i can tell Mallory and seem really smart.

Michele said...

Had not a clue! Thanks for teaching me something...LOL! Interesting! Hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day since I'm a day late commenting!

Jenn said...

Donielle,

Just wanted to say hi and thank you for all your love and support! You and your family have been so wonderful!

Love,
Jenn